From: George Zimmerman [mailto:gzimmerman@solarflare.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 3:42 PM
To: THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1); dan.dove@hp.com; btolley@cisco.com; bradley.booth@intel.com; stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] Proposed modification to PAR scope

Pat – thanks for the clarifications – I’d missed the fact that speed wasn’t mentioned (must be still suffering from Italian jet-lag).  Scopes should be broad but clear.  The CX4 scope is probably a good model.  “based on” is different than saying it must implement it.  (under this scope a 10GBASE-CX4 could incorporate other line codes, etc.)  Similarly “working over the wiring types used in structured cabling” is a bit different than the text as written, which enters into a more specific description of “structured cabling” (we had a little discussion in Italy where some had a very narrow understanding of what that means).

I’ll have to think a little about an alternative, but I think we’re on the same principle: speed & wiring types define 10GBASE-T, but the detailed description is for the objectives.

George Zimmerman

gzimmerman@solarflare.com

tel: (949) 581-6830 ext. 2500

cell: (310) 920-3860