From: owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Stoltz,
Mario
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 5:48 AM
To: Stephen Bates; Booth, Bradley; stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] latency

Hi Stephen,

The latency requirements in the standard are based on clause 44.3 (which
refers to clause 31 and annex 31B). Underlying reason for specifying
delay budgets is "Predictable operation of the MAC Control PAUSE
operation" as the standard puts it.

In the 802.3ae days, there was a minor discussion in 2001 around the
latency budgets summed up in table 44.2 "Round-trip delay constraints".
Back then, I commented against the latency numbers of draft 3.0 (which
are now in the standard). My argument back then was based on two points:
a) the fact that the individual delay numbers in table 44.2 seemed to be
built assuming different semiconductor technologies, and b) the fact
that cabling delay is several orders of magnitude above sublayer delay
anyway if we look at the distance objectives of the optical PHYs. For
the sake of economic feasibility, I proposed relaxing the numbers, but
without success.

The current situation seems as if the delay budget threatens to inhibit
technically attractive solutions. What we are probably missing (today as
well as back then) is some data on the MAC control PAUSE operation and
how it is really used in the field. That could tell us how reasonable it
may be to add some slack to the current numbers.

Some data, anyone?

Best regards,
Mario.