From: owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 12:33 PM
To: Bruce Tolley
Cc: jonathan.thatcher@ieee.org; 'stds-802-3-10gbt'
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] latency

All-

I am having a little trouble with some of the assumptions of this entire thread.

If you have a special need for low latency at 10 Gig for cluster computing then we already have a solution, 10GBASE-CX4.

I would say that it is not particularly appropriate at this time to even presume that we have legitimate requirements for Ethernet where the coding delay in a PHY is significant for a speed for which we are not doing CSMA/CD (whose round-trip time was the traditional driver of the low latency requirements).

There has been a lot of talk about fiddling the latency to meet the requirements for a topic for which there has not even been a Call For Interest!

This leads me to believe that all of the talk in getting this study group approved, in which there were claims of more than adequate "Broad Market Potential" were not quite as true as was depicted. There was no mention of the BMP of 10GBASE-T being latency dependent during the PAR proposals.

Does all this discussion mean that you wish to revisit the basis on which the 10GBASE-T was granted?

Ethernet is at its MOST BASIC level is designed to be a connection for loosely coupled systems. This has been the source of its success. I am perfectly willing to explore new avenues for Ethernet. I am not willing to cross out multiple pieces of its basic nature just to chase every corner of the data transfer market. It is NOT just the name "Ethernet" that is the basis of its success.

The most significant things that 10GBASE-T needs for its success is:
        Silicon processing that can tolerate its speed and complexity requirements
        A large enough market for a general purpose "Ethernet" interconnect at 10G to
                pay for the development and
                drive the part cost down

Geoff