From: owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Thomas Dineen
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 3:46 PM
To: Hugh Barrass
Cc: Booth, Bradley; stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org; Thomas Dineen
Subject: Re: [10GBASE-T] Feedback from ISO/IEC WG 3 meeting

GentlePeople:

    In a sense I disagree, while surely we want to agree on key parameters, I think we
need to focus on a set of reasonable parameters which support the end to end solution.
I am concerned that to much focus on nailing down a single key parameter will in effect paint
us into a corner! I would suggest that we instead focus on identifying a set of key parameters
associated with an architectural model which represents an end to end solution. Once these
key parameters are identified we need to then work on identifying a set of compatible parameter
values which support a working end to end solution within the selected architectural model.
The required parameters would include but not be limited to channel bandwidth and characteristics,
coding gain and latency, coding selection and mapping etc.

Thomas Dineen

Hugh Barrass wrote:
Brad,

I agree that the WG should be locking down these key parameters, however the decision on the number of bits per symbol will depend on the coding gain assumed and that will depend on....

latency requirements

... so the discussion that has been running over the reflector needs to be continued and resolved ASAP.

Hugh.

Booth, Bradley wrote:

Dear Task Force members,

I attended the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25/WG 3 meeting last week.  One important point of feedback that I received was if the Task Force could select the number of bits per symbol that would provide a lot more direction to WG 3.  We have been talking about the number of bits per symbol period for over a year, and I believe that it would be prudent of the Task Force to lock that number down.  I would like the Task Force to lock this number down at the March Plenary, so please consider this a request for presentations to support what our decision should be on the number of bits per symbol period.

Thank you,
Brad

Bradley Booth
Chair, IEEE P802.3an Task Force