Re: [10GBT] phy parameter list

I had earlier sent a list of phy parameters that we must specify to get
to a relatively complete Draft 1.0.

Brad will put this list up on the website. If there are other items to
add to the parameter list, please send me email or send email to the
reflector.  I will collect all the input and we can discuss
adding/modifying the list at the May meeting though it would be great to
get consensus before via the reflector.

As for the process of coming up with consensus values for the
parameters, we have two choices:
A) Get consensus on specific parameter values
B) Look at relatively complete PHY proposals, evaluate these, and then
the parameter values will fall out of the PHY proposal that is selected.

I suspect we will probably end up with some mix of both approaches. We
may be able to get consensus on some parameters with a point discussion
on the specific parameter and some will fall out of a comparison of
relatively complete phy proposals. If you have suggestions on this
front, get them out on the reflector or to Brad Booth or me.

To give the group some sense of what is a relatively complete PHY
proposal, I have put together another spreadsheet - which is attached.
This is based on an earlier spreadsheet from 1000Base-T days that
Sailesh Rao provided and on input from a number of individuals active in
the study group/task force. This isn't final, and is open to discussion
so please don't hesitate to provide feedback. I hope we can get broad
agreement on this spreadsheet format at the May meeting if not before.
In any case, this should give an idea of the level of detail that could
allow a reasonably informed comparison of the different proposals. If
you are planning to make a phy proposal at an upcoming meeting of the
taskforce, please fill in as much as you can.

This spreadsheet - has entries for three categories of information -
i) Information to determine if the proposal meets the reach objectives
and hence is required. Examples include - does the proposal meet the BER
target over the specified channel models? If it does, with how much
margin? Information needed to determine if the proposal will be
compliant with relevant EMI or other objectives etc.

ii)Information that will be in the final standard and hence is required-
examples include symbol rate, FEC encoding, transmit filtering, transmit
voltage levels etc.

iii) Information that provides some details of a possible implementation
to achieve the performance claimed in the PHY proposal. This does not
have to reflect your final implementation and will not be in the
standard but will help other voters on the task force to better
understand your performance claims, the complexity of the associated
implementation and also possibly contribute to improving the proposal.
Other information/parameters specific to your proposal that will help
others better understand it should be added in.

I would like to thank the following people for providing inputs that
helped me put this spread sheet together: Oscar Agazzi, Brad Booth,
Scott Powell, Sailesh Rao, Katsutoshi Seki, Jose Tellado, Geoff
Thompson, Ariel Yagil, George Zimmerman. My apologies to others I forgot
to list. Errors are my responsibility.

Thanks,

Sanjay Kasturia

sanjay@teranetics.com