[10GBT] Symbol rate

At the March meeting, there was a motion to bound the range of symbol rates. The motion, moved by George Zimmerman, suggested  a symbol rate that would range from 714Msym/sec per pair to 1000Msym/sec per pair.

This motion failed to get the requisite 75% yes vote. Some of the people who voted against this proposal were in favor of schemes that would require higher symbol rates - e.g. 1250Msym/sec per pair but were probably not very familiar with 802.3 operation. With 802.3 voters in the room, the motion would have passed. See the vote tally appended below from the meeting minutes.

As I understand it, the PAM 4 type schemes that would use the much higher symbol rate would NOT meet our distance objectives but offered some value in that they could enable much lower power transceivers for shorter distances than called for in our objectives.

Should these schemes, which do not meet our distance objective, but could still be valuable for customers who want shorter reach and lower power be considered in separate class - possibly in a different forum than 802.3an?

Can our chair, Brad Booth, give us his opinion on this?

Vote count from minutes of March meeting

TF Voters Y: 24 N: 15 A: 19

802.3 Voters Y: 21 N: 5 A: 9

Sanjay Kasturia
Editor-in-chief