From: stds-802-3-10gbt@IEEE.ORG on behalf of Chris DiMinico
Sent: Wed 6/23/2004 6:08 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GBT@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [10GBT] Channel models and frequency range and other details of measureme...

Sanjay,

TR42-question:
TR42 met the 2nd week in June. At the TR42 plenary two IEEE liaison letters
were drafted providing
the status of the two TR42 10GBASE-T related projects (project outline
below). My understanding is that
the letters will be sent to 802.3 this week with copies to Brad. The first
draft of TSB-155 (outlined below) will
be attached to the liaison which includes changes to the Class E extrapolated
limits for NEXT, PSNEXT and RL.

1. Project PN-3-0134: Development of a Telecommunications Systems Bulletin
(TSB-155).  The TSB guidelines will
 provide additional information on the extended frequency transmission
performance of category 6 cabling
from 250 MHz up to 625 MHz. It also addresses alien crosstalk and provides
additional guidelines for
field test equipment and field test methods and alien crosstalk mitigation.

2. SP-3-4426-AD10: Augmented Category 6 cabling >> The project is to develop
cabling and component
specifications and test procedures to support the operation of IEEE 802.3
10GBASE-T over 100 meters
of structured balanced twisted-pair copper cabling.

B: Frequency range:

The motion to limit the upper frequency range to 500MHz for cabling
parameters in the link segment specifications
was supported by the majority at the Interim Meeting May 25-27, 2004 Long
Beach, CA.
Task Force Yes 32 No 25 A 6
802.3 Voters Yes 18 No 7 A 3

In the group voting no I recorded at least 6 that asked for measurement data
to 625 MHz and would be willing
to relax the link segment specifications as long as they were provided the
measurement data .
One option is to agree to continue to providing measurement data to 625
MHz and relax the link segment specification to 500 MHz.

The reduction in the upper frequency range to 500 MHz has immediate positive
impact on reducing the complexity
and difficulty of the phy implementation including the cabling
specifications, the cabling measurement specifications,
and the cabling field testing specifications.

ps..if your not looking for controversy don't ask controverial questions.

Regards,

Chris DiMinico
MC Communications
cdiminico@ieee.org

In a message dated 6/23/2004 4:39:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,