Re: [10GBT] Issues with solarsep_varlen7a.m

Glenn,

I've only published the MMSE Pulse analysis source code for the 1000BASE-T
receiver. Of course, there was a front-end analog receive filter (a
Butterworth LPF with an 80MHz 3dB point) included in the analysis.

Regards,
Sailesh Rao.

>From: Glenn Golden <gdg@zplane.com>
>To: STDS-802-3-10GBT@listserv.ieee.org
>Subject: Re: [10GBT] Issues with solarsep_varlen7a.m
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:22:59 -0600
>
>George,
>
>I think you may have misinterpreted my comments.  I was agreeing with
>Sailesh.
>
>A T/2 FFF is an appropriate comparison if -- as in our case -- the
>available measurements only go out to Fs or less.  You seem to be
>putting words in his mouth by saying
>
> > the folded SNR result is NOT, as Sailesh asserts, limited to T/2
> > spaced FFE systems
>
>because he didn't assert that.  He only said it was valid for that case,
>which it is.
>
> > The folded SNR calculation as done in the matlab code is valid for a T/2
> > fractionally-spaced Decision Feedback Equalizer.
>
>As he points out, no FS front end (regardless of sampling fraction) has
>been proposed, and TTBOMK -- though I am not familiar with all the
>presentations since Day 1 -- I haven't seen any proposals so far about
>tuning analog front end phase so as obtain favorable compromise folding.
>
>Given that, using the folded SNR (as per the present solarsep code) is an
>optimistic way to model it.   A more realistic way is to just fold what
>you get out of the front end filter, in whatever way you have chosen to
>model that.  This seems to me to have been Sailesh's point.  The solarsep
>code has, in effect, chosen to model the front end as the optimum matched
>filter.  Others may disagree with that choice.  If the code were to use
>(folded signal/folded noise) instead of folded-SNR, then it would get the
>right answer in either case.
>
> > On the other hand, the MMSE analysis that Sailesh is assuming assumes NO
> > front end filtering prior to baud sampling, and, therefore is inherently
> > pessimistic.
>
>I haven't seen Sailesh's code, so I can't comment, but I suspect that he is
>well aware that the front end filtering should be included in the transfer
>function prior to folding. If it's really not in the code that way, then
>of course that's a mistake.  Or perhaps he's assuming a front end with
>relatively sharp rolloff, in which case it's not necessary to explicitly
>model it, I don't know.  Maybe he can comment on this.
>

> > If we were to assume a front-end filter function, why not assume
> > an optimal design to get best performance?
>
>Why not do the folding computation in a way which allows the user to make
>whatever assumption he wants regarding the front end? If you want to assume
>MF and get the best performance, fine, put that in there and you'll get the
>right answer.  If I or someone else wants to assume a compromise front end,
>and (e.g.) see what effects large ripples near Fs/2 have on the folding,
>then we can put that front end model in and get the right answer for that
>case too.  But with the code as it is, using folded SNR, you won't get the
>right answer.

> [...]

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE!