[10GBT] Proposed PAM8 vs. PAM12 resolution process

All,

I would like to propose the following process for resolving the robustness of PAM8 vs. PAM12 towards external noise.

1. Compute the Optimum DFE SNR Margin for PAM8 and PAM12 using solarsep_varlen7a.m for Models 1 and 3 using default cancellation parameters and -150dBm/Hz background noise.

2. Compute the input-referred RMS noise power at the slicer by integrating the residual noise in the Optimum DFE solution. I volunteer to add this code to solarsep_varlen7a.m unless someone else wants to do so.

3. Compute the input-referred external noise power that can be tolerated for a BER of 1E-12 for both systems using the results from (1) and (2) above. I volunteer to add this code to solarsep_varlen7a.m unless someone else wants to do so.

Regards,

Sailesh Rao.