Re: [10GBT] Proposed PAM8 vs. PAM12 resolution process

Sailesh,
I think all you are saying is that
        i) $B!! (JBoth systems, PAM8 and PAM12 are showing roughly same noise margin with -150dBm/Hz BGN,
        ii) -150dBm/Hz BGN is defined as spectral density, and
        iii) PAM8 uses wider bandwidth than PAM12 by 17.5%,

therefore, PAM8 is suffereing bigger BGN at input by 0.8dB (not 2dB as you presented) than PAM12.

THIS IS NOT CORRECT!

The tolerable external noise is identical for both systems. That is -150dBm/Hz! You can not convert this into rms value unless bandwidth is defined. The bandwidth is determined by the receiver itself. PAM8 needs more bandwidth than that of PAM12 which means that PAM8 is more sensitive to the higher frequency noise. What I am pointing out is that PAM12 rejects more noise than that can be rejected by PAM8.

Plus, as we discussed back room in Portland hotel, PAM8 pollute more than PAM12 does. I will show you more in detail soon.

I will take a look at default values in the matlab code and do more details. Do you prefer to have 0.75+0.25/Z in your PAM8 and compare with PAM12 without such filtering or just simple PAM8 and PAM12?

Hiroshi Takatori
KeyEye Communication