Re: [10GBT] Proposed PAM8 vs. PAM12 resolution process

Hiroshi,

I agree with you that it only matters how robust the receiver is against
"EXTERNAL NOISE". The only reason for me to compute the input-referred
"INTERNAL NOISE" power in the proposed comparison is to compute what the
5.6dB/5.9dB SNR margins for PAM8/PAM12 really mean in terms of raw external
noise tolerance.

My point is that when we speak of SNR margins for PAM8 and PAM12, we are
actually comparing apples (PAM12) to cantaloupes (PAM8).

During EMI compliance tests, we are not going to be using worst-case
impairments in the cabling setup, and it would be advantageous for us to
have several cantaloupes worth of external noise tolerance (PAM8) as opposed
to several apples worth (PAM12).

Regards,
Sailesh Rao.

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/