Re: [10GBT] PAM8 and PAM12 sys time domain analysis

Albert,

I have one other observation that I would like you to comment on:

I ran solarsep_varlen7a.m with the whitedBm parameter changed to -140 to
estimate your time domain simulation losses. Here's the final tally:

SNR Margin at -150dBm/Hz (solarsep_varlen7a.m, Model 3)
PAM8: 5.2dB
PAM12: 5.7dB

SNR Margin at -140dBm/Hz (solarsep_varlen7a.m, Model 3)
PAM8: 2.5dB
PAM12: 2.5dB

SNR Margin at -140dBm/Hz (Albert time domain simulations, Model 3)
PAM8: 1.0dB
PAM12: 0.27dB

If I discount 1dB for the transformer losses from the solarsep_varlen7a SNR
margins since these are additional losses in your time domain simulations, I
compute

Albert Time domain simulation loss for PAM8: 0.5dB
Albert Time domain simulation loss for PAM12: 1.2dB

Can you please clarify if the increased loss in the PAM12 time domain
simulations are due to the clock recovery loops and/or the finite precision
arithmetic used in these simulations?

Finally, if the chair would permit me a short non-technical comment - ahem -
I would like to compliment you on your professional integrity for sharing
these simulation results.

Regards,
Sailesh Rao.
srao@phyten.com