Re: [10GBT] Summary of issues with PAM12

Sanjay,

The decrease in clock speed is

(952.381/825 - 1)*100% = 15%

However, it is not correct that this clock rate reduction can be done "with
no significant margin" penalty.

The emissions penalty for this reduction is between 0.62dB and 1.05dB, which
is real margin that we are losing.

The susceptibility penalty for this reduction is between 2.0dB and 3.9dB
over all cable lengths, which is also real margin that we are losing.

Finally, even if you are only interested in the SNR margin, the SNR
requirement for PAM12 is 23.8dB for a 1E-12 BER, vs. 19.9dB for PAM8. This
requires the PAM12 receiver to find an extra 3.9dB somehow, with more
precise analog front ends perhaps.

Regards,
Sailesh Rao.
srao@phyten.com