[10GBT] Validity of comparing PSDs to determine electromagnetic emissions

Scott -
Thank you for pointing out a simple fact that has made for amusing
reading while I've been busy with other things. Much of the discussion
here of PAM-12 vs. PAM-8 is well within the bounds of measurement
tolerances, and, as will be discussed below, can be flip-flopped by
design trades in these measurement tolerances.  This covers more than
just EMI, so here are some of the summary points:

1) EMI emissions - We're way beyond 20 log (f) approximations.  We've
seen measured results in numerous presentations by multiple sources (see
cohen_1_0903.pdf for methodology and also a presentation by Scott
Powell).  Scott's right.  Differences in the PSDs are TINY when compared
with differences test setups, cabling configurations, and measurement
equipment can make - if a design is so close that the small difference
in the PSD is going to make it fail, it will fail for a dozen larger
reasons.  I'd be interested in hearing from Thuyen Dinh which proposal
looks easier to build magnetics for, keeping in mind both emissions and
insertion loss.

2) Coded margin - we're asking for accuracy way beyond assuming the same
coding gain, or even running AWGN simulations on non-TH Precoded
constellations.  In my experience this can cloud things by 1 dB.

3) Component and noise budgeting accuracy - The solarsep simulation code
with Salz-bounds provides an optimal DFE basis which can be used as a
line/environment limited bound on how well you can do.  It does NOT
provide a basis for evaluating sensitivity to noise which enters the
receiver at different points in the receive chain, hence it should not
be used by varying the AWGN level to try to measure sensitivity to
receiver noise, or for accurately tweaking the transmit and receive
filtering.  It can be adjusted for that, but for that you need to become
architecture-specific to a particular vendor, and add additional linear
transfer functions (such as magnetics, location of gain stages, sources
of noise and hybrid structure).  Net-net, the degradation from optimal
becomes significantly vendor-architecture dependent and therefore less
capable of multiple vendors tracking the results.

4) EMI susceptibility - we're also way beyond looking at susceptibility
just as the partition separation of a sine wave on a single pair in the
absence of the consider ANEXT noise (e.g., Crane's test), because in the
presence of noise the cumulative coded errors will cause errors first.
Real EMI happens on all 4 pairs at once (to differing levels), generally
in the presence of noise.  In this situation, generally, the code breaks
down way before the partition difference (at least for 1e-12 BER).  As
such, the EMI susceptibility must be measured in the presence of full
ANEXT.  This will require LDPC code simulations in the presence of EMI
ingress and ANEXT.  It must also respect the difference in receive gain
required by the PAM 12 and PAM 8 systems.  The answer is not obvious,
but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it discussed on this forum amidst all
of the heated arguments, AND, it really requires selection of a code to
get it done.

Long and short -
We need to get this matter decided already.  However, in order to
finalize this decision, we need not only PAM levels on the table, but
code and modulation rates nailed.  We also need to consider impact on
non-silicon components (cabling and magnetics, both of which are
stressed for bandwidth).  There are only a small number of points that
have been made that I think are unambiguous:

1) The PAM-8 baud rate is faster, so for a fixed cancellation ratio, it
will require more digital processing.  If it, in fact, has higher
margins, these may be traded for implementation loss to ease the burden.

2) The PAM-12 constellation with a hole in it is inefficient.  This fact
is responsible for more than one of Sailesh's complaints.  The cross
constellation just moves the inefficiency around to a more familiar
form, but still suffers precoding losses.  A more efficient mapping can
be adapted.

3) The framing proposed in the PAM-12 is complex and possibly can be
improved.

4) The choice of transmit filter will govern the emissions more than the
number of PAM levels.

5) The sensitivity of margin to baud rate is broad enough that the
ANEXT-limited performance differences in an optimal signal processing
sense are small.

-george zimmerman
---