From: stds-802-3-10gbt@IEEE.ORG [mailto:stds-802-3-10gbt@IEEE.ORG]On
Behalf Of George Zimmerman
Sent: Tuesday, 12 October, 2004 6:51 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GBT@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [10GBT] Question about previous analysis of codes and
undetected errors.

Sailesh -
The issue is more about the relationship of BER to undetected error
rate.  The extra 4D codes and SSD/ESD and control coding don't help
errors in the data fields of the packet.  Because 1000BASE-T is coded,
it will tend to have bursts of errors in the data stream.  This
essentially changes the probability of more than 4 bit errors in a frame
from being a (BER)^4 probability, which would be really infrequent, to a
(BER/burst length) probability, which would be more like once a second
for the target BERs.   I'm interested in how this was considered in
1000BASE-T since we will have to face the same problem, in spades, with
the LDPC codes, which will produce more than 10 bit errors in an error
event - well more than the detection capability of the CRC.

I would be happy to work with you on a contribution for the November
Plenary on this or other subjects.  Give me a call on my cellphone if
you want to discuss.

As far as wanting a job, that was someone else, not only am I gainfully
employed, but I left my voicemail on your office phone, not your
cellphone.

-george

George Zimmerman
(still) CTO & Founder