Re: [10GBT] THP Fixed Set TF

While I agree with Gottfried that the effect is minimal, in practical
systems, the receive filter does have an effect, for two reasons:
1) Finite length effects of the feedforward equalizer: the receive
filter convolves with the channel to influence the loss associated with
finite length effects of the FFE. To the extent that the precoder
doesn't match the channel in the tails (which it generally won't, both
because of quantization, mis-match, and finite length effects in the
precoder, and because since in the tails of impulse responses for
practical cables you see various random reflections and imperfections,
which vary from installation to installation), you must rely on the FFE
to remove the additional ISI from these effects, and therefore, the
finite length of the FFE must be taken into consideration. The receive
filter effects this.
2) While I agree that IDEALLY the SNR(f) function is not changed by the
receive filter, PRACTICALLY it will be.  If ALL of the sources of
receiver noise were prior to the receive filter, Gottfried's statement
about the SNR being unchanged with respect to the receive filter would
be true.  However, as has been pointed out on several occasions by Dr.
Ungerboeck's colleagues at Broadcom, the A/D converters are a
significant source of noise.  The receive filter between the sources of
noise coupling on the line, and those coupling in the receiver (e.g.,
ADC noise) effectively weights the receiver noise (including, but not
limited to ADC) in the frequency domain with respect to the noise
sources on the line. (Prof. Spencer showed this nicely both in his
study-group presentation in July'03 (spencer_1_0703.pdf), and later in
his journal paper.)  This changes the SNR profile, particularly for long
lines, in a way that IS dependent on the receive filter, although not
hugely.

All this, in the end, winds us up in a fine argument reminiscent of
angels dancing on the head of a pin.  I'm beginning to think that a
simple, fully programmable precoder with coefficient exchange (as was
used in HDSL2 and other systems) would be the right approach, and this
"set of fixed precoders" is either doomed to a host of practical
interoperability problems, or necessitating significant extra complexity
in the rest of the system to compensate for cutting a small corner on
the TH precoder.  I'm not ready to abandon it right yet, but we are
carefully evaluating the small set of fixed precoder concept for
robustness across front-end component design, component variation, and
line variation.

-george