Re: [8023-10GEPON] presentations for September meeting

Frank,

Yes, all these topics are within our scope. I suggest you make presentations
for these for the next meeting. You also may want to pre-circulate them on
the reflector to get feedback ahead of the meeting.

I would like to make a few comments on each topic you suggested.

> US burst timing requirements and feasibility

Before talking about any specific timing parameter, it would be great if we
can see a study similar to one done for 1Gbps EPON
(http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/nov02/optics/lynskey_optics_1_1102.pdf)
Are there any volunteers with resources to make a similar study for 10Gbps
optics?

> 10G Bandwidth efficiency, any impact for MPCP?

Bandwidth efficiency depends on many things, many of which are outside the
scope of 802.3, for example, DBA, scheduling cycle, discovery window size
and period. For that reason, selecting a specific efficiency target didn't
work for us in 802.3ah, and I think it won't work here.

I assume you only referred to physical layer impact on efficiency. Let's be
more specific and list specific sources of overhead: FEC overhead,
burst-mode overhead, including laser on/off, AGC, CDR. Anything else? (I did
not mention 64b/66b encoding overhead, since it is fixed and well
understood).

I think for each of these overhead components, rather then focusing on a
specific overhead boundary, we should find the most optimal tradeoff between
the performance, overhead, and complexity. I welcome any further discussion
on this topic.

> Issues associated with co-existing 1G and 10G as well as optical RF
> overlay.

In July we passed the following motion:
Following PAR approval, 802.3av Task Force should investigate the
development of physical layer specification(s) which accommodate
the simultaneous operation of existing 1G-EPON and/or a 1550-
1560nm video overlay, with 10G-EPON.

This activity will probably take a form of an ad hoc group.  Please make
sure to sign-up and contribute your ideas.

Regards,
Glen