From: Victor R. Blake [mailto:VRB@advancenewhouse.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:20 AM
To: Roger Merel; STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [8023-10GEPON] Ad-Hoc Slides

Roger,

One idea to possibly consider:

1. Distribution of customers by data rate

2. Total number of customers

3. DS and US splits / ratios

I'd suggesting not using "average" since that isn't very helpful given some
of the real world distributions.

The challenge is that the splits can be driven by the data rates more than
the other way around. Ex. I want to deliver 10x 100Mbps and 20x 5Mbps on a
PON. So that's 30 (32 splits). I can do that given the right over-sub ratio
and would therefore want 32 splits. So if it's 10G/10G it's do-able. But if
its all Full duplex -- and we only do a 10G/1G PON -- doesn't make sense.
Then 16 is more than enough and perhaps more than necessary.

That's just one example. You may consider asking for a brief narrative of a
few example scenarios from each service provider. Asking just about glass
loss and splits will not reveal HOW we WANT to use it in the future.

-Victor

  _____