[8023-10GEPON] about 802.3 meetings and voting rights

All,

Several people have asked me about the schedule for November meeting, and
since we have many people new to IEEE standards process, I decided to
explain it on the reflector.

The 802.3 standards meetings are divided in two categories: 802 Plenary and
802.3 Interim meetings.

January - Interim
March - Plenary
May - Interim
July - Plenary
September - Interim
November - Plenary

Plenary meetings
----------------
Plenary meetings are planned about 2 years in advance and generally follow a
fixed schedule.

Monday AM - 802 Plenary Opening Session
Monday PM - 802.3 WG Plenary Opening Session

Tuesday AM & PM - Task force breakouts

Wednesday AM & PM - Task force breakouts

Thursday AM - Task force breakouts
Thursday PM - 802.3 WG Plenary Closing Session

A more detailed schedule (for all 802 work groups) can be found here
http://ieee802.facetoface-events.com/sessions/40/schedule.php

Date and locations of future plenary meetings can be found here:
http://ieee802.facetoface-events.com/sessions/40/future_sessions.php

Interim meetings
----------------
Interim meetings are much smaller and less structured. An interim meeting
can be as short as 1 day, or as long as 4-5 days. It may include all 802.3
task forces, or only some of them. Often, different 802.3 task forces pick
different dates or locations for their meeting.

Interim meetings are planned only 3-6 months in advance, and usually
announced 1-2 months before the meeting.

The Interim meetings are not sponsored by IEEE. 802.3 WG always gratefully
accepts offers from companies to sponsor an Interim meeting. If your company
is interested in sponsoring a meeting, please contact Steve Carlson
(scarlson AT ieee DOT org) to get more information.

802.3 Voting rights
--------------------
These are excerpts from 802 Policies and Procedures and 802.3 Operating
Rules:

1) Membership in a Working Group is established by participating in the
meetings of the Working Group at two out of the last four plenary
sessions...  Membership starts at the third plenary session attended by the
participant.

2) Participation is defined as at least 75% presence at a meeting.

3) One duly constituted interim Working Group or task group meeting may be
substituted for the Working Group meetings at one of the two Plenary
sessions...

4) Task force meetings that are less than two days in duration or that take
place adjunct to and co-located with the plenary meeting cannot be used to
count towards establishing nor retaining voting rights.

5) To establish voting rights participants must request to become a voter
during a WG Opening or Closing plenary meeting when additions to the voter
list are solicited by the Chair from the "Potential Voter" list.

6) You must ensure that 802.3 database has you complete and current contact
information.

The above rules have the following implications:

a) For a plenary meeting to be counted toward earning your voting rights,
you need to attend it for at least 3 days to achieve 75% presence.
(Attendance books are signed on each day separately.)

b) Please, note that on Thursdays, the attendance books are circulated only
during 802.3 closing plenary. Thus, you must attend either opening or the
closing session, or you will not get the required 3 days of attendance (75%
presence).

c) When rules 1-4 are met, you need to REQUEST to become a voting member
during 802.3 opening or closing sessions. If you do so during an opening
session (Monday afternoon), you will be able to vote as 802.3 voter at that
meeting on the days that follow (Tue, Wed, Thr).  If you request to become a
voter at the closing session, you will be able to vote only in later
meetings.

Please, let me know if you have any further questions.

Those, not new to the process, please feel free to correct/expand my
outlines above.

Glen