Re: [8023-10GEPON] FW: [8023-10GEPON] 10GEPON ad hoc on higher split ratio - Conference Call Minutes

Title: RE: [8023-10GEPON] FW: [8023-10GEPON] 10GEPON ad hoc on higher split ratio - Conference Call Minutes

Glen,

I think that the reason may be that IEC 60825-1 is the document that contains the fundamental requirements on exposure to optical radiation.  IEC 60825-2 is really clarifying how those requirements should be interpreted in an optical fibre communication system environment and clarifying the requirements for automatic shutdown for high power systems.

If you want to refer to a single IEC standard, then I think that IEC 60825-1 is the appropriate reference.

Within the ITU-T, however, we generally refer to multiple parts.  For example, G.959.1 “Optical transport network physical layer interfaces” refers to both IEC 60825-1 and IEC 60825-2.  G.640 “Co-location longitudinally compatible interfaces for free space optical systems” refers to IEC 60825-1, IEC 60825-2 and IEC 60825-12 which is “Safety of laser products – Part 12: Safety of free space optical communication systems used for transmission of information”

Pete Anslow

Nortel Networks UK Limited, London Rd, Harlow, Essex CM17 9NA, UK

External +44 1279 402540 Fax +44 1279 405670  ESN 742 2540

Email: pja@nortel.com