From: Frank Effenberger [mailto:feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM]
Sent: 21 November 2006 22:46
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Ad hoc on 10GEPON channel model

Dear Piers,

I think that there is plenty of common ground to work on here, and I’m sure that this time, we will work out a common framework of terms that will satisfy both the IEEE and ITU formalisms.  At least, that is my hope.

As for the last sentence you mentioned, the idea is not that the optical penalty would be measured… Indeed, this would be impossible.  The idea is that the operator should design his fiber route and figure out what his penalties should be.   I think this approach is especially important for the PON application, where we may have various other systems sharing the same fiber.  In such a system, the path penalty is really beyond the control of the equipment manufacturer.

Regards,

Frank E