Re: [8023-10GEPON] FW: Bridge details

Frank and all,

I would add that this approach requires reading between 66 and 131 bits
(assuming that number of errors does not exceed the threshold, otherwise we
would continue reading). Of course, it can also be further optimized s.t.
once we found 55 matching bits, we may stop, since the remaining bits, even
if all mismatched, are below the error threshold.

I think Daido-san's question was about my initial proposal to lock on block
boundary first, and then do block-by-block comparison to find the delimiter.

To lock on block boundary, we use the same technique that Frank described.
Read bit stream and compare to known sync pattern. Sync pattern is selected
such that at every shift position, except the matching position, it has at
least 30 bits different (take a give few for possible errors). Once we found
a position with small number of mismatches (say, less then 15), we declare
lock.  This is a very robust scheme, as it tolerates a large number of
errors per block.

Once we locked on block boundary (stage 1), continue comparison block by
block (without bit shifting), looking for the delimiter value (stage 2).

Glen