Re: [8023-10GEPON] [FEC] upstream lock status

jeff; as we prewsent last time, FEC PCS will be in the lowest layer above PMA. And OLT O/E Rx is receiving 10.3G rates which is already 64b/66b coded, so I always assume FEC working on 66bit,
did I missing anything?

-----Original Message-----
From: Hajduczenia, Marek [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@siemens.com]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 10:00 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] [FEC] upstream lock status

Dear Jeff,

I was discussing one discrepancy with Glen last week.

It would be worth while to clarify finally one aspect of the FEC operation - are we going to operate on 64 or 66 bit code words.

Here I quote part of the email exchange from last week
"(...) it seems that FEC should protect entire 66-bit block, not 64 bits. If we don't protect the first 2 bits (or at least one of these bits), we are risking to confuse pure data blocks with control blocks. In other words, we may not find where frame starts or ends, or think of block representing idles as a block representing data, etc."

This makes a lot of sense since the FEC subplayer needs to be placed below PCS which does after all encoding of 64 into 66 bit groups.
The frame transition may be defined therefore as follows:

ONU side
1) 64b -> 66b encoding in the PCS
2) Frame payload scrambler
3) FEC subplayer with codeword encoding + calculating and inserting parity blocks
4) data detector subplayer

5) PMA -> PMD (Tx) (ONU side)
6) fibre channel (channel)
7) PMD -> PMA (Rx) (OLT side)

OLT side
9) Burst detector at the OLT side (frame synchronization, replace sync pattern with idles etc.)
10) FEC subplayer - codeword decoding, retrieve useful data
11) Frame payload de-scrambler
12) 66b -> 64b block decoding in the OLT PCS layer

That is I believe compatibile with the discussion on the FEC sub-layer placement and follows the suggestions put forward in the presentation by Frank.
Now the big questio is whether the FEC codeword should be 64 or 66 bits. I believe personally in the light of the discussion I had with Glen, that 64 bit codeword may put us in a situation when bit errors in a noisy channel will eventually lead to misinterpretation of the initial two bits "10" of the 66 codeword. This may lead to misinterpretation of the whole 66 bit block and its effects are less than desirable.

Regarding the points You raise, here are my answers:
~
Issue 1: I think that I would be closer to version B, though what I am most interested in is obtaining a good lock and have a good background for the synch pattern. It may prove that 0x55 preamble pattern is also sufficient properties for the good sync identification properties ...

101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010 (66 bits)
[0 -> 0]
[1 -> 66]
[2 -> 0]
[3 -> 66]
[4 -> 0]
[5 -> 66]
[6 -> 0]
[7 -> 66]
[8 -> 0]
[9 -> 66]
[10 -> 0]
[11 -> 66]
[12 -> 0]
[13 -> 66]
[14 -> 0]
etc...
As You can see, the pure 0x55 pattern is periodic so there may be a tiny problem unless we decide to modify it somehow ...

Issue 2: that depends on the answer to my question ...

Issue 3: B. That does not require us to mess with the standard data transmission from the PCS towards the PMD/PMA

Issue 4: for now, no opinion. Need more time to examine them in more detail.

Best wishes

Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
SIEMENS Networks S.A. - IC COM D1 R
Rua Irmãos Siemens, 1