Re: [8023-10GEPON] 10G-1G coexistence

All,

Short comments on all of this:
1. multi-rate difficulty:  I believe the 'default' method of implementation
would be to have two signal chains at the OLT, one for 1.25G operation, and
one for 10.3125G operation.  The only necessary common circuit is the
detector-TIA (for sensitivity reasons).  These two chains would operate
independently, so there is no problem supporting two rates.  If implementers
want to merge additional higher layer functions, then that is up to them.

2. The rate selector and layering: In the old days, we had great debates on
the laser-enable signal at the ONT vis-à-vis layering.  In the end, the
group came up with the data-detector artifice, and the layering issues were
resolved.  I think this is a similar situation, and hopefully we can find a
solution to the layering issues.

Frank Effenberger