Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] ad hoc group meeting

Frank, Maurice,

1G EPON was a runaway hit because it defined something that was ready for immediate deployment, even though more advanced technologies were available at the time. If you go too aggressive or too forward-looking, you always risk of specifying something that won’t become available for years and that will become irrelevant when it finally appears.  You don’t need to look far for an example. Consider GPON’s class C optics– today, 3 years after the standard’s approval there are still no components available. The point is, our spec should not preclude product’s ability to benefit from future technology improvements, but it should not make these potential improvements mandatory in order to achieve the standards-compliance status.

This is just my general attitude toward PMD spec. Keep in mind that everyone has a different scale for measures of spec’s “aggressiveness” and “forward-lookingness”.  You still need to make a specific proposal for what you consider the most reasonable PMD spec – it could be that the group would agree with it, making this entire discussion pointless.

Regards,

Glen

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail expresses my views as an individual contributor to
the task force, not as task force chair.