Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] ad hoc group 2nd meeting

Title: RE: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] ad hoc group 2nd meeting

Robert,

Thanks for the notes from the Ad-Hoc call.

I have comments on three sections:

It was stated that for a 7% overhead code, such as RS, a 1.5 dB coding gain would be appropriate for PIN case, but a 3 dB gain for APD case. It was not known how to evaluate the pre-amplified PIN case. This seems to be a major area requiring clarification.

Was this for RS (255, 239) as defined in G.709? Upstream or downstream?  If it is for (255, 239) downstream I find this surprising are there measurements to support this?

Secondly,

Assuming a value of 13 dBm for minimum Psat and subtracting 3 dB to avoid patterning and 2 dB for min/max range would yield a minimum SOA output power of 8 dBm as a working assumption.

I dont think that there is any need to subtract anything for the min/max range.  If +13 dBm is the guaranteed minimum Psat, then subtracting 3 dB to avoid distortion would give +10 dBm minimum.  Surely a min/max range of 2 dB means that the spec for output power would be +10 dBm min and +12 dBm max?

Thirdly,

It was not known how to evaluate the pre-amplified PIN case. This seems to be a major area requiring clarification.

There is some information on the slope of the BER vs power curve for pre-amplified receivers in Supplement 39 to the G-Series Recommendations clause 9.5.2 which is relevant to the FEC gain that might be expected.  This can be found at:

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.Sup39/en

Regards,

Pete Anslow

Nortel Networks UK Limited, London Rd, Harlow, Essex CM17 9NA, UK

External +44 1279 402540 ESN 742 2540

Fax +44 1279 402543