From: Pete Anslow [mailto:pja@nortel.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:06 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] ad hoc group 2nd meeting

Re-send - I thought I sent this to the reflector, but it seems not.

Haim,

The optical gain that you get from FEC can be well estimated from looking at the BER vs optical power curves and taking the difference between the power required for 1E-12 (i.e. the no FEC case) and the power required for ~ 1E-4 (the BER at the input of RS (255, 239) FEC for 1E-12 at the output.

While I agree the optical improvement will be greater in the case of an APD (because the BER vs power curve is not so steep) typically the slope of an APD curve is not half that of a PIN and therefore the optical improvement will not be twice as much.

I also take issue with the value of 1.5 dB improvement for a PIN.  The theoretical improvement for RS (255, 239) FEC (net coding gain) is 2.8 dB.  Of course this assumes that the only penalty for the 7% increase in bit rate is additional noise caused by a wider electrical bandwidth.  If the receiver used for the measurement has too little bandwidth even for the lower rate, then you can see a large sensitivity penalty for 7% increase in rate.  Alternatively, if a large dispersion penalty is included in the measurement setup you can see a big increase in this for the increased rate.

If either of these cases is not true, then the BER vs power curve for typical PIN based receivers is, if anything, somewhat less steep than the theoretical curve leading to a larger improvement for the with FEC case than theory would suggest.

As a consequence of all of this, I am surprised by the claim that RS (255, 239) FEC gives only 1.5 dB improvement for a PIN receiver if this is in the context of a continuous downstream signal.

Burst mode in the upstream has, however, been said to be potentially different because of some OLT receivers showing very abrupt BER vs power curves.

Pete Anslow

Nortel Networks UK Limited, London Rd, Harlow, Essex CM17 9NA, UK

External +44 1279 402540 ESN 742 2540

Fax +44 1279 402543