[8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] EML+SOA output powers and OMA - follow up to Ad Ho c call

We discussed a question in the 2/6_7 Ad Hoc call which requires further
input from SOA experts.

It would be helpful to better understand the current and projected minimum
output powers in OMA that could be expected from worst case EML+SOA
transmitters.

Previous contributions have discussed this.

3av_0611_lee_1 cites Psat values as ranging from 11 to 14 dBm.

3av_0611_spiekman_1 cites output power as typically 10 dBm.

3av_0701_gokhale_1 shows expts. with two different EML+SOA architectures
giving excellent transmission properties with output powers up to 8.5 and 11
dBm.

We need to estimate the minimum output power in OMA for manufacturable
devices, both currently, as well as stretch targets.  This involves both the
average output power as well as the ER after SOA.  One can assume a minimum
8.2 dB ER for the EML.

In the Ad Hoc call on 2/7, we discussed 8 dBm as a minimum average power,
assuming a 13 dBm minimum Psat, - 3 dB to avoid patterning effects, - 2 dB
to give min/max range.  Pete Anslow has questioned on the reflector whether
subtracting the 2 dB for min/max range is necessary.

Input / debate / data are encouraged.

Robert

Robert Lingle, Jr.
Fiber Design and Transmission Simulation
OFS Corporate R&D, Atlanta
404-886-3581 (cell)
770-798-5015 (office)