From: Mike Dudek [mailto:mike.dudek@PICOLIGHT.COM]
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 9:47 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] [FEC Superating] - kickoff preso

Geoff

I agree that low overhead was why 64B/66B was chosen versus 8B/10B.
However I was trying to question why there was any coding (besides
scrambling)at all.  I think the reason for 10GBE was so that frame
alignment can be easily achieved.   In the EPON upstream I think there
is already a proposal for a strong alignment mechanism for burst
synchonization and I would have thought that this could be used for
frame alignment as well, thereby removing the need for 64/66 coding and
hence reducing the line rate.   (This incidentally would change the need
for special characters from being 66bits long to being 64bits long,
(assuming that the 64 bits block length is used.    Note my
understanding is that a significant fraction of Ethernet frames are
64bits long, so although having removed 64/66bit encoding would allow a
choice of a different "block length" altogether I wouldn't recommend
it).

Mike.