From: Hajduczenia, Marek [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@siemens.com]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 2:27 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] Report of local discussion

Dear all,

I would tend to agree with Tatsuta-san and Glen's point of view - we do not have a charter to mess with the existing clause 60 and we do not need to specify 1G-EPON Class B++ optics to work on 10G-EPON systems - we need to know what we need to coexist with and for that we do not need to actually open the said clause and provide revisions. It would create a very problematic situation on the market where Class B++ optics systems are used with 1G-EPONs and suddenly some deployments would be IEEE compliant while others would be not - IMHO I would try to avoid such course of action since it might lead to wrong perception of IEEE activities in general. The main problems I notice in this situation are as follows:
1. we can try to avoid specifying 1G with 29dB CHIL, which may in the end mean that we will have 29dB 10G system which is supposed to coexist with a non-standardized 1G system, which may make the whole system simply break down / operate incorrectly.
2. if we want to specify the 1G at 29dB, we need only to focus on the upstream channel, since 29dB 1G operation in the downstream is already assured by the existing and operating equipment. Since our PAR indicates that we can specify assymetric data rates in the 10G system, which allows us to discuss 1G upstream specs. Wanting to reuse the 1G standard as much as possible, we tend to overlook the possibility of adding a new class for 1G upstream, which in the end is the missign case of the whole puzzle.
I am not quite sure which is the better way - I would probably incline more towards option number 2 since it is more consistent in technical terms and does not result in system specs which may or may not operate under certain system conditions. I would hate to see so much good work go to waste at some time in the future if in the end it turns out that the whole coexistence was just an empty catchy word.

The questioned 3 classes of CHIL that Frank C. thinks would cause an additional workload, will definitely give us more work but at the same time, they will open new markets for 10G-EPON systems, since I doubt whether it is considered economically sound to deploy 29dB system where only 20 dB CHIL is needed in the case of shorter span and lower split count. Providing additional CHIL classes allows therefore more flexibility and better deployment cost optimization IMHO.

Best wishes

Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
SIEMENS Networks S.A. - IC COM D1 R
Rua Irmãos Siemens, 1