Re: [8023-10GEPON] [Dual-Rate-PMD] New merged draft of presentation

Frank E,

On page 9 and page 10 of the PMD101 slides, two parallel LPFs are showed
after the TIA. One is for the 1Gbps Signal, the other is for the 10Gbps
Signal. Do you need a Data Rate Detect Circuit (maybe hard to realize in the
PMD modules) to switch these two LPFs?

In the 10G mode, without the Data Rate Detect Circuit, the low frequency
components of the 10Gbps Signal will leak through the 1GHz LPF and the ISI
(Inter-Symbol Interference) penalty will be very high for the 10G mode,
since the low frequency spectrum of the 10Gbps Signal can be lower than
10MHz.

In the 1G mode, the 1Gbps Signal will all leak through the 8GHz LPF besides
the signal path in the 1GHz LPF, then the two LPFs will act like a power
splitter, not ideal filters. The power penalty will be at least 3dB (ideal
case) in 1G mode.

Best regards,

David

David Li