Re: [8023-10GEPON] Reminder to presenters and Time slot request

COMMENTS BELOW, IN CAPS

-----Original Message-----
From: Hajduczenia, Marek [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@siemens.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:05 AM
To: Frank Effenberger; STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [8023-10GEPON] Reminder to presenters and Time slot request

Dear Frank,
Thank You for a very interesting point on the 10G EPON naming - I was also
thinking about this for some time, especially after Duane opened the issue
with editorial changes and the work scope. I believe the PR and PRX options
are acceptable and are compliant with the standard naming rules which were
followed by the IEEE TF until now. I doubt though whether the argument of
being sexy will stand on the 802.3 forum :-) It is a nice addon though ...

I had a good look at You presentation and attached is what I believe is a
corrected version - there were some tiny glitches:

Slide: 9, option 1110 -> It reads: Kind of stupid - 1G down and 10G up?
I think it should read: Kind of stupid - both down and 10G up? Something
like PRXR ? - You have both 1 and 10G in the downstream channel

I UNDERSTAND YOUR CONFUSION.  MY INTENT WITH THIS COMMENT IS TO SAY THAT THE
USE CASE THAT SEEMS SILLY TO ME HERE WOULD BE THE ONU THAT HAS 1G DOWN AND
10G UP.  I THINK WE BOTH AGREE THAT THIS CASE IS NOT USEFUL.

Additionaly, slide 8
PR10-U = PR20-U ? Why is there an equality sign in here ? Are these ports
unanimous ?

THE EQUALS SIGN IS BECAUSE, IN MY PROPOSAL, THE ONU PORTS ARE THE SAME IN
BOTH OF THESE CASES.

I do not also agree with the 30 class numbering - 10 and 20 indicate the
target system reach. 30 would be therefor ea 30 kilometer system, which I do
not believe is the target in this case ...

Perhaps 20+ would be a better option in this case since we do not want to
change the target system reach for 29dB CHIL but rather allow for additional
loss in the fibre plant.

I WAS JUST FOLLOWING THE PATTERN.  AS WE KNOW, THE HIGH POWER LINK IS IN
PRACTICE NOT USED FOR 20KM DISTANCE.  SO, THE CURRENT 'MEANING' OF 10 AND 20
IS BANKRUPT, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Best wishes

Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
SIEMENS Networks S.A. - IC COM D1 R