Re: [8023-10GEPON] Meeting Report (April 13th in Japan)

Dear Robert,

* Rx Sensitivity
I just gave end-point's Rx sensitivities at ONU and OLT because
they are the value we have to decide in the standard.
The vendors in Japan also considered WDM filter insertion loss
(US/DS/Video), crosstalk and other margins and reflected them
to the proposal. But since they differ among the vendors in the
idea of loss/margin estimation, they were not explicit in this
proposal.
Please refer to my presentation in Orlando. It described the
range of the values proposed from the Japanese vendors.

* FEC gain
We basically assumed RS(255,239) and most of the vendors estimated
the coding gain as 3-4dB for APD-Rx.
Some of the vendors refered to Enhanced-FEC but it was not included
in the proposal this time.

* Sensitivity difference
We assumed comparatively cheap DFB lasers for US although adoption
of EML seems to be necessary for DS to overcome fiber dispersion.
In the case of Direct Modulation Laser, we have to use it with
lower ER to guarantee high-speed operation and it will lead to an
additional penalty. And also Relaxation Oscillation Frequency
(Resonance Frequency) inherent in DFBs will induce waveform distortion
and it will end up performance degradation.
Overall, we estimated 2dB deterioration for APD sensitivity as
compared with one of EML.
The presentation on EML@ONU attached to the previous report suggested
the advantage of the use of EML for this reason to easily reach 29dB.

Best Regards,
Motoyuki Takizawa

--
Motoyuki Takizawa