From: TATSUTA [mailto:tatsuta@ANSL.NTT.CO.JP]
Sent: quarta-feira, 2 de Maio de 2007 6:49
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] [CHANNEL_LINK] New Excel spreadhseet available ...

Dear Marek,

This is Tsutomu TATSUTA from NTT.
Thank you for your great work. I think 10GEPON-D[1].0.7h is very useful to understand this complicated work.
[Marek Hajduczenia] You're more than welcome. It is great to know it is useful for someone :-)

By the way, I have some comments and questions.
[Marek Hajduczenia] Sorry for a delayed answer but I had to analyze the issues in detail to make sure that I do not provide false answers.
First of all, I made the attached file in order to understand relation between a power budget and the spreadsheet. Basically I referred a white paper whose title was "Review of the 10Gigabit Ethernet Link Model" (I think this paper was sent from you).
[Marek Hajduczenia] Correct. I believe it would be easier to compare one of the stable versions of the spreadhseet prior to modifications e.g. 10GEPBud3_1_16a.xls or similar documents created for the EFM

In my slide, I have some questions.
1. Is "Pc" a value of cell "S34"?
[Marek Hajduczenia] Cell S34 is empty in the quoted vecrion of the spreadsheet. Do You refer to some other version of the spreadhseet?
[Marek Hajduczenia] If I am not mistaken, cell S34 in 10GEPON-D.0.4_with_examples.xls which You referred to is the value of PCross_Central, - the Pc, which is defined as the correction factor due to penalty interactions, is indeed represented by this particular column rather than a single cell. At the maximum transmission distance of n km, You could say that Your Pc is defined by S34.

2. Which cell is representing item "M"?
[Marek Hajduczenia] in current version http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/tools/10GEPON-D.0.7h.xls of the spreadhseet has cell B45 which represents the Budget_margin
[Marek Hajduczenia] This one I believe was answered. In 10GEPON-D.0.4_with_examples.xls which You referred to, which value was represented in cell L6, though in the end we decided to do a more detailed budget overview and organize the spreadhseet, thus version D.0.7 was born, along with all the subversions.

3. "LP Pen central" (cell "V34") looks like representing all of penalties. Is my understanding right?
[Marek Hajduczenia] See comment to point 1.
[Marek Hajduczenia] It would seem so - though beware that the value does not include the attenuation as well as any non-linear penalties which are calculated in a separate spreadhseet and inserted into this one.

4. "LP Pen central" is including cell "L34" which is "P_DJ central". The white paper does not notify it. If question no.3 is yes, do we need to include "P_DJ central" in "LP Pen central"?
[Marek Hajduczenia] See comment to point 1.
[Marek Hajduczenia] I believe so - I think that this particular question would be better answer by the original authors of the spreadhseet - some of the relations between the individual variables were modified with time and are not often reflected in the quoted white paper.

A following comment relates to your file.
5. Cell "B42" in file "10GEPON-D[1].0.7" is specified as other_penalties which represents other system penalties. However a value is derived from cell "L7" in file "10GEPON-D[1].0.4_with_examples", which represents Connections etc. I think this value should be included in ChIL and a penalty should come from cell "V34".
[Marek Hajduczenia] In http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/tools/10GEPON-D.0.7h.xls, the cell other_penalties (B42) is a total of the non-linear penalties (B21) and fibre plant penatlies (B22), whic includes splices, connectors etc. Cell B41 (fibre_loss) includes pure fibre loss only, assuming there are no connectors, PSC etc. and the channel is ideal.
[Marek Hajduczenia] As far as I understand the question, what You're saying Tatsuta-san is that we should take the splices, connectors etc. and include them in the CHIL and take the system penalties as the maximum value calculated in cell V34. Please note however that the said system penalty value You refer that is column V is not used in any calculations apart from charting ... It is hard for me to say whether we should therefore use this value or not.

Please forgive me if my understanding is irrelevant.
[Marek Hajduczenia] I appreciate the input but I am afraid You will have to clarify questions 1,3 and 4 using either the current version of the spreadsheet (http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/tools/10GEPON-D.0.7h.xls) or providing me with the correct version of the spreadhseet that You used when writing this email. Sorry I cannot be more helpful at the moment.

Sincerely yours,
Tsutomu TATSUTA