Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER-BUDGET] 10G PIN sensitivity at ONU

Dear Dr.Effenberger,

In the vender summary, I suppose, most venders here assume the receiver
sensitivity without FEC of

-16dBm for PIN equipments,
-23dBm for APD equipments.
The sensitivity difference is 7dB.

As indicated in the paper 3av_0703_takizawa_1.pdf, vendors are a little
pessimistic about XFP PIN sensitivity.

But I also have the same feeling that in the practical XFP production
APDs show slightly better performance than expected in comparison with PINs.
I asked my XFP colleagues why, but could not get a clear answer.
Maybe APDs are treated more sensitivity consciously than PINs.
I keep asking my colleagues.

Thank you for your comments.

Best regards,
Hiroshi Hamano
Fujitsu Labs. Ltd.

%% Frank Effenberger <feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM>
%% Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER-BUDGET] 10G PIN sensitivity at ONU
%% Mon, 14 May 2007 14:40:26 -0400

> Dear Hiroshi,
>
> I am left to wonder, then, why the APD sensitivity number is not similarly
> reduced?  I think we both began with the specifications on practical XFP
> optics, which are -18 dBm for PINs and -24 dBm for APDs (that was my idea,
> at least).
> So, if PINs get degraded to -16 dbm, then shouldn't APDs get degraded to -22
> dBm?
>
> Put another way, if we use the numbers put forward from the Japanese
> sub-group, we see that the APD - PIN sensitivity difference is 8 dB.  This
> seems to be a little on the high side.  More nominal APD advantage is around
> 6 dB, especially when you factor in that the APD is probably less than
> optimized in the access device.
>
> Sincerely,
> Frank E.

---
HIROSHI HAMANO         Network Systems Labs.
FUJITSU Labs. Ltd., Kawasaki, 211-8588 JAPAN
TEL: +81-44-754-2641  FAX: +81-44-754-2640
E-mail: hhlsi@flab.fujitsu.co.jp