Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] SOA/PIN for 10G/1G OLT receiver

Dear David,

Thank you for your contribution and I am sorry for my late response.
I think there is a conflict of views about the use of pre-amplifiers.
So I would like to clarify that difference.

I do not believe we need to use a narrow-band optical filter for
10G upstream signals, because the FEC can effectively compensate
power penalty due to ASE noise.
I believe we should avoid wide-gain-band (I think 20 or 30 nm is
preferable.) for each signal because wide-gain-band increase ASE
-ASE beat noise.

So I think the problem is how to eliminate ASE noise for 1G-upstream
signals because FEC is not mandatory and the use of a narrow-band
optical filer is not practical due to its wide wavelength region.
To make matters worse, ASE noise generates a noise floor in a 1G
error rate curve in the wide-gain-band situation (Wide-gain-band
will generate a significant noise floor.).  I believe almost all
the carriers require error free optical systems without a noise
floor in error rate properties.  So I think pre-amplifiers without
optical filters or FECs are not acceptable.

But I think the use of optical amplifier is possible in the dual
rate situation.
We can use an optically-paralleled configuration when we use a
pre-amplifier.
In this configuration, the use of an asymmetric (1:n) power splitter
can achieve the same 1G power penalty as or less 1G power penalty
than that of the electrically-paralleled configuration.  Moreover,
pre-amplifiers can compensate the splitter loss (1/(n+1)) and easily
achieve the 10G sensitivity of -27 dBm or less.

Best regards,
Ken-ichi

--
Ken-Ichi Suzuki
NTT Access Network Service Systems Labs.

Optically_paralleled_configuration.ppt