Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] SOA/PIN for 10G/1G OLT receiver

Dear David and others,

I have concerns for the SOA gain stability and flatness.

We have gain characteristics data of 1.55 um gain bandwidth SOA.
They were measured for developing an optical packet switching system.
The gain characteristic data in attached file are selected from them.

The SOA gain characteristics have fluctuation depending on X.
The X is polarization, input power, signal wavelength or
reflectance of reflection points near by the SOA.
The SOA gain fluctuations are in essence caused by gain and
cross-section asymmetric of SOA waveguide.

I'm not sure the most recent manufacturing process of the SOA overcomes
these issues. I'm afraid of that the PDG and gain ripple affect power
budget design. For example, the power budget has to have +/-3.5 dB
fluctuation range, when the SOA has 7 dB gain fluctuation (1dB PDG and
6dB gain ripple).
I would like to know the gain characteristics yield, if possible.

Thank you,

Seigo Takahashi
NEC Corp.

David Piehler -san wrote:
>> All, Please see attached file which addresses issues raised in the email
>> and teleconference discussions.
>>
>> I will plan to present this material as well as experimental results at
>> the upcoming study group meeting in Geneva.
>>
>> Please let me know if there are other issues to be addressed. I look
>> forward to any comments.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> David
>>

>> David Piehler