From: Ken-Ichi Suzuki [mailto:kenyichi@ansl.ntt.co.jp]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:31 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Downstream wavelength for 10G EPON

Dear Frank,

Thank you for providing your newly proposed wavelength plans.
I am Ken-Ichi Suzuki of NTT and I have comments as below.

In option C, in order to receive signals in both narrow (1574-1580 nm)
and wide (1580-1600 nm) band range, I think that the lower limits of an
optical filter pass-band must be 1574 nm.
If it is true, I think option C (called option D?) should be defined as
1574 ~ 1600 nm.

Considering the coexistence with RF video and the use of common optical
filter for each class, I think I can conclude option B and D are
acceptable for me.

These and the attached file are for my understanding.
Option A: 1560 ~ 1580 nm
Option A can receive signals in both narrow and wide wavelength ranges.
The central wavelength for PX10/20 is 1570 nm near one of CWDM grids.
Option A does not allow 10GEPON to coexist with RF video because of 0
guard band.

Option B: 1574 ~ 1594 nm
Option B can receive signals in both ranges.
The central wavelength is 1584 nm (near the anti-CWDM grid).
Option B allows 10GEPON to coexist with RF video with the guard band of
14 nm.

Option C: 1580 ~ 1600 nm
Option C can not receive signals in both ranges thus forcing us to
develop dedicated optical filters for each class.
The central wavelength is 1590 nm near one of CWDM grids.
Option C allows 10GEPON to coexist with RF video with the relatively
wider guard band of 20 nm.

Option D: 1574 ~ 1600 nm
Option D can receive signals in both ranges.
The central wavelength for PX10/20 can be selected at 1590 nm near one
of CWDM grids.
Option C allows 10GEPON to coexist with RF video with the guard band of
14 nm.

Best regards,
Ken-Ichi

At 2007/08/09 10:05 Frank Effenberger wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I agreed at the last meeting to facilitate the development of a more
> inclusive wavelength plan for the downstream.
>

> The current situation is that the PX30 budget would seem to require cooled
> transmitters, and so the 6nm wide transmitter window centered at 1577nm is
> not an extra burden.
>

> However, for the PX10 and PX20 budgets, the OLT transmitter may be an
> uncooled type, both because the output power is low, and because in the
case
> of PX10, the fiber distance is shorter and so dispersion control is less
> needed.  Therefore, there seems to be a justification for making the
> wavelength band for the PX10 and PX20 types wider.
>

> So, the question then becomes: how to make the window wider?  It was
> discussed at the meeting that the wider window should contain the narrow
> window inside of it.  This has the possibility of defining a universal ONT
> that can receive both the wide and narrow OLT signal.  How that actually
> works out in practice will have to be seen.
>

> One aspect to consider is the re-use of industry standard wavelength
plans,
> since then components are already available.  From this perspective, the
> CWDM wavelength at 1571 leaps out as a potential band.  It is true that
the
> CWDM band is actually from 1563 to 1577 nm, but that is meant for 0~70 C
> operation, and expansion to a 20nm width naturally occurs when the -40 to
> +85 C operation is considered.  So, proposal A would put the wider
> wavelength band at 1560nm to 1580nm.
>

> Of course, this choice would make co-existence with the video overlay
> impossible, with zero guard-band to the video band at 1550 to 1560nm.
This
> defeats the ¡®common ONT¡¯ idea, since it is impossible to make such an
ONT.

--
Ken-Ichi Suzuki
NTT Access Network Service Systems Labs.