From: Ken-Ichi Suzuki [mailto:kenyichi@ansl.ntt.co.jp]
Sent: sexta-feira, 31 de Agosto de 2007 14:48
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Downstream wavelength review

Dear Marek,

I would like to explain my thought again because I feel my thought is
not understood well.

(1)I have already accepted the proposal of Frank's additional compromise
(about addition to footnote).
Basically, I believe we do not have to limit the wavelength because we
can freely choose the center wavelength from the range of Option D.

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GEPON_study/email/msg00655.html

However I can compromise Frank's thought that the nominal wavelengths
remain the 1580 to 1600 values if footnote can be added at least.

(2)I have already got Japanese vendor's opinions.
I am sure they will agree to Option D, basically.  But about a half of
them seem to consider the wavelength limitation as being premature
because power budgets have not been decided yet.
So I am not sure they will agree to Motion although I am sure they will
vote Option D in straw poll because Straw Poll does not limit the
wavelength range of Option D.
Then I said that we should not limit the wavelength range of Option D
yet, because I would not like to wait the decision of the power budget
ad-hoc any more.
(At least, I thought we should adopt full wavelength range as a baseline
because we would have chances to change it after the decision of power
budgets.)

But I would like to say that again, I can compromise if footnote can be
added at least.

Best regards,
Ken-Ichi

At 2007/08/31 15:34 Hajduczenia, Marek wrote:
> Dear Suzuki-san,
> What You are generally saying is that in order to decide the downstream wavelemngth, we need to wait for the outcome of the power budget ad-hoc, which is nowhere close to any kind of compromise regarding the numbers for downstream. It is a vicious circle and I believe that narrowing down the options for the downstream channel would help them focus on what they can do with the power budget.
> If You believe that the proposal for extended band i.e. 1574 - 1600 nm for all power classes would be accepted by everyone (so far I heard opinions of 4 people out of the whole group - where is everyone else ??), we could potentially indciate in the footnotes in the tables that PR10/PR20 classes are to aligned with CWDM grid in the case of uncooled devices. How would that sound ? This way we would have the best out of both solutions I believe and still we could get away with that in technical terms. Such a statement could be read then as follows: if You need to use a cooled device, feel free to chose where You want to transmit. If You use an uncooled device, use CDWM grid.
> Let's see how it this one sticks :)
> Best wishes
>
> Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
> NOKIA SIEMENS Networks S.A., Portugal - R
> Rua Irmãos Siemens, 1
> Ed. 1, Piso 1
> Alfragide
> 2720-093 Amadora
> Portugal
> * Marek.Hajduczenia@siemens.com
> http://www.marekhajduczenia.info/index.php
> (+351.21.416.7472  4+351.21.424.2082
> "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup

>>> Alfragide
>>> 2720-093 Amadora

--
Ken-Ichi Suzuki
NTT Access Network Service Systems Labs.