From: Hiroshi HAMANO [mailto:hamano.hiroshi@JP.FUJITSU.COM]
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 11:04 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] PIN-PD Power Budget

Dear Dr. Parruck and Dr. Hajduczenia,

Thank you for your discussions for solving the PIN/APD issue.
Perhaps I am not an appropriate person to discuss, because some PIN group
member should be responsible.  But I try some, because my explanation, in my
former E-mail, was perhaps not good and misunderstood.

There is 8dB sensitivity difference between 10G PIN and APD, including about
1-1.5dB E-FEC gain difference.  It is the 10G optics background and the main
reason for the long PIN/APD battle.
Your discussions are ignoring this background and only driving the PIN
sensitivity close to APD, but I am afraid this approach is not fruitful.
As for the power budget spec. lists, all the vendors carefully investigated
the tight B++ requirement and decided the spec. numbers with their optics
experts, who have huge production experience of XFPs and other 10G
transceivers.  I believe they started their assumption with the typical
PIN-ROSA alone sensitivity of around -21dBm@10-12, same as that Dr. Parruck
has indicated in his E-mail, and they decided, in the end, the ONU
sensitivity spec. -20dBm with E-FEC.
They have no room to improve as long as they assume current PIN-ROSA
performance.

The following shows the PIN receiver sensitivity experimental results on the
page 7 of 3av_0611_Chang_1.pdf.
3	10Gb/s	-19dBm		PIN-HBT		1998
4	10Gb/s	-20.4dBm	PIN-HBT		1995
5	10Gb/s	-22.4dBm	PIN-HEMT	1996
6	10Gb/s	-23.5dBm	PIN-HEMT	1995
I do not know other reports so far breaking this record -23.5dBm, and that
means there were no big improvements for more than 10 years.
And also future 10G PIN-ROSA sensitivity improvement seems limited unless
there comes a drastic breakthrough.

Your discussions, requesting the PIN-ONU sensitivity lower, seem to me that
you are indirectly persuading the PIN group to give up PIN and to choose
APD, but I do not think it is acceptable for them.

This shows only my personal understanding, please ask some PIN group member
for clear answer.

Best regards,
Hiroshi Hamano

%% "Hajduczenia, Marek" <marek.hajduczenia@SIEMENS.COM> %% Re:
[8023-10GEPON] PIN-PD Power Budget %% Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:36:22 +0100

> Dear Bidyut,
> That would be splendid since it would allow us to end the PIN/APD wars
with a single neat aggressive power budget which would satisfy everyone.
> The problem is that we seem to get not much closer to consensus than we
were during the last two meetings. I am not a PIN / APD expert but isn't it
possible to create a single proposal which could satisfy both camps and
allow the rest of the group to back up the proposal ?
> Forgive my ignorance if such a solution is impossible due to some
> obvious reasons I am not aware of
>
> Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
> NOKIA SIEMENS Networks S.A., Portugal - R Rua Irm竢s Siemens, 1 Ed. 1,
> Piso 1 Alfragide
> 2720-093 Amadora
> Portugal
> * Marek.Hajduczenia@siemens.com
> http://www.marekhajduczenia.info/index.php
> (+351.21.416.7472  4+351.21.424.2082
> "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder,
> but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup

---