From: Justin Abbott [mailto:jabbott@GENNUM.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:13 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] PIN-PD Power Budget

Good Day all,

Pin sensitivities of -20dBm typical and -18dBm worst case are reasonable numbers, however, recent advancements in TIA design have slightly improved on this allowing  -21dBm typical, -19dBm worst case (BER = 10-12).  The advancements primarily focus on how to control the variability, hence guaranteeing -19dBm in production over all corners.  This is of critical importance for the high volume ONU application.

Such a PIN based ROSA can be used to enable the proposed B++ channel budget in 3av_0705_takizawa_1.pdf.  Please see attached for measured results (illustrating worst case).  Comments and feedback from all are quite welcome.  If you are interested in supporting this presentation, please let me know.

Regarding future PIN advancements, I support Hao view that 1dB (maybe 2dB at the most) is reasonable.  Most of this improvement may come from using 40GHz optics, however, that path forward also has issues associated with it.  -25dBm was discussed as a compromise between the APD and PIN group, however, this is quite unrealistic from a PIN point of view.  To put this into perspective, a 60% reduction in noise would be required to achieve this.

Kind regards

Justin Abbott
Product Manager
Gennum Corporation