Re: [8023-10GEPON] PIN-PD D/S power budget proposal

Dear Dr.Li and Dr.Hajduczenia,

Thank you for discussing APD-ROSA cost assumptions.  I admit that
current APD-ROSA costs 2 times of PIN-ROSA, and it is important
to see how it will be reduced in the future volume production.
But I think people are too much micro-focusing on ROSA cost.
ROSA is only one of the component in the ONU, and it does not
indicate the ONU cost or total optics cost.
U/S TX is the major cost contributor for ONU and also the total optics.
And considering the total cost, APD@ONU is always cost effective
up to 16 splits, as I have shown in my presentation 3av_0707_hamano_2.pdf.
Even at 32 splits the cost difference is only 10-15%, and if you assume
the overall system, it will be much smaller.
Some PIN group people always stress D/S cost only to give the impression
that APD@ONU is 2-times expensive, but it is not true.
APD-ROSA costs 2-times, but APD@ONU does not.
D/S cost discussion only is not fair and misleading.

Best regards,
Hiroshi Hamano

%% "Hajduczenia, Marek" <marek.hajduczenia@SIEMENS.COM>
%% Re: [8023-10GEPON] PIN-PD D/S power budget proposal
%% Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:12:53 +0100

> Dear David,
> Thank Yout for the answer.
> We have one vote in favour of the APD price reduction after the beginning of the 10GEPON deployment. In Your opinion, the price difference can be as low/high as 210 - 220% (APD vs. PIN). Are there any other cost components which need to ba taken into account when considering APD based ONU ?
> Regards
>

> Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
> NOKIA SIEMENS Networks S.A., Portugal - R
> Rua Irm竢s Siemens, 1
> Ed. 1, Piso 1
> Alfragide
> 2720-093 Amadora
> Portugal
> * Marek.Hajduczenia@siemens.com
> http://www.marekhajduczenia.info/index.php
> (+351.21.416.7472  4+351.21.424.2082
> "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup

---
HIROSHI HAMANO         Network Systems Labs.
FUJITSU Labs. Ltd., Kawasaki, 211-8588 JAPAN
TEL: +81-44-754-2641  FAX: +81-44-754-2640
E-mail: hhlsi@flab.fujitsu.co.jp