Re: [8023-10GEPON] Updated optical power budget presentation

Dear Takizawa-san and All,

There is a little bit of detail with this ER issue.  Let me explain:

The power levels listed in the charts are "ITU average power" values.
Because they are average power, they need an ER to go along with them.
That ER is the "Nominal ITU ER", which we have set to 9 dB.  Keep in mind
that both of these values are intended to be Informative values.  They are
used on these slides merely because most people like to think about optical
levels in terms of an average power and a 'normal' ER.

In the spreadsheet, what happens is that the Average Power and the Nominal
ER are used to calculate the Optical Modulation Index (OMI). It is the
intention that the OMI will be the normative requirement of the system.
After all, it is the OMI that really matters!

So, with the normative OMI specified, all we need to add is a normative
minimum ER limit, just to make sure that somebody doesn't try to make a
transmitter that has a really bad ER.  This ER limit would likely be 8 dB
for the OLT transmitter, and 6 dB for the ONU transmitter.  But, it must be
noted that the ER limit does not appear in any of the other equations in the
link model, so it is more of an engineering common sense limit.

I will clarify all of this in the next draft.

On a related note, I will be copying snapshots of the link budget
spreadsheet into this presentation, and that will help to clarify exactly
how we are using these values.

Sincerely,
Frank E.