Re: [8023-10GEPON] Wavelength plan for PR10/20 downstream

Dear Marek,

Very thanks for your comments.

My points in the presentation are 1) that we can use 1550nm EML for PR20-D if not RF overlaid, and 2) that use of widely available 1550nm source will make it easy to deploy 10G EPON at initial state.

As for the first point, I said about RF video overlay compared to IP video. I believe that RF overlay is an attractive solution for 1G EPON network because it provides additional bandwidth for video delivery "like CATV" and it also reuses the existing CATV infrastructure and Set-Top Box(STB). And other reasons to use RF video overlay option may be unmatured IP video technology and regulatory on IP video. However, I do not agree that RF video overlay should be essential for 10G EPON because 1G EPON has been deployed with RF video overlay by some Telcos. We have already selected 1577nm wavelength plan for coexistence with RF video overlay for the existing networks with 29dB CHIL. Furthermore 10G EPON provides enough bandwidth for video delivery based on IP transport mechanism and IP video has much comparative advantages against CATV in terms of interactive service and personalized service. In additioin, though two Telcos (to my knowledge) have deployed RF video overlay option in their PON network, I heard that many other telcos are willing to use IP video option. I do not mean that RF video overlay should be written off quickly, but I suggest that we could use 1550nm in the case that  RF video overlay is not considered. As I showed at page 8, we can treat variable schemes for 10G EPON even when we select 1550nm for PR20-D.

As for the second point, I have presented about the wide availability of 1550nm source. For 10G optics, c-band source is adopted to all the applications and I can purchase 10Gb/s EML which is what  I want at this moment. While, L-band EML at 10Gb/s needs to be developed. My concern is that, if we decide 1590nm wavelength for PR20/10 of 10G EPON downstream, we will have two solutions for downstream, one is 1590nm and the other is 1577nm. For Japan market, one of the biggest market for EPON deployment, 1577nm will be developed and used. Then, 1590nm may not be highlighted from the market and thus commercialization of 1590nm EML at 10Gb/s may be delayed.  This is different from 1G EPON case, which have only one solution (1490nm) and there are demands from the market for 1G EPON, thus the manufacturers focused to develop 1490nm DFB LD to make it in time. Thus I represented my concern as writing "Maybe 1~2 years after standard" at page 3 even though I agreed that the 1590nm EML at 10Gb/s can deveop within 2 year technically. I believe that the wavelength option for PR20-D should be very available at the time of standardization.

As for your indication at page 3, I will reflect your comments. In order to save the lines, I will delete 'DWDM/CWDM grid" from the remark of c-band plan and insert "common ONU receivers" for the remark of L-band plan.

At page 3, coexistence with 1G EPON for c-band plan means that c-band wavelength can coexist with 1490nm EPON downstream wavelength. I have written coexistence with RF video overlay for L-band to represent that L-band can coexist with RF video overlay, separately from 1G EPON.

As for the wavelength plan of PR10, I suggested the use of 1577nm for common use of OLT transmitter with PR30. But I have add a remark "Possibly 20nm bandwidth when uncooled EML is required" at page 6 due to the cost problem.

I hope this to be an answer for your comments.
Best regards,
Dongsoo Lee

Senior Member of Engineering Staff / PhD.
Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI)
BcN Research Division, Optical Communications Research Center (OCR)
Optical Access Technology Team
1110-6 Oryong-dong Buk-gu, Gwangju, 500-480, Korea
Tel.  062-970-6525
Fax. 062-970-6989