From: Pete Anslow [mailto:pja@nortel.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:13 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Define TDP values

Hi,

The way the term TDP is being discussed in this thread seems to me to be inconsistent with the way it is defined in IEEE 802.3.

TDP stands for Transmitter and Dispersion Penalty.  It is the penalty due to the combination of the eye closure of the transmitter and the further eye closure caused by the link dispersion.

The TDP measurement procedure for 1000BasePX10 and PX20 is defined in subclause 58.7.9.  The sensitivity of the reference receiver is measured with as near an ideal test transmitter as possible and then this is corrected for any residual transmitter eye closure to give the sensitivity with an ideal transmitter S.  Then the receiver sensitivity is measured again using the transmitter under test through the worst case dispersion The TDP value is then the difference between the second measurement and S.

If we label the two penalty components as EP for the transmitter Eye Penalty (penalty due to non-ideal eye shape at the transmitter) and DP for the transmitter Dispersion Penalty (further eye closure caused by the link dispersion) then we can say:

TDP = EP + DP

Now, for most ITU-T power budgets Path Penalty is approximately equal to DP (and the specified receiver sensitivity has to be met using a transmitter with a worst case EP).

Consequently, Dispersion_Penalty <= ITU_Optical_Path_Penalty makes reasonable sense.

The inequality (Dispersion_Penalty+TDP) <= ITU_Optical_Path_Penalty makes no sense at all as it is roughly equivalent to saying:

DP + (EP + DP) < = DP

I agree that Dispersion_Penalty <= ITU_Optical_Path_Penalty is not sufficient to establish that the power budget is feasible with available optics.  As I understand the current spreadsheet, it calculates the receiver sensitivity that would be required given the various input parameters.  In order to test for the feasibility of this sensitivity value an additional input cell containing the achievable receiver sensitivity with an ideal transmitter would be required.

Regards,

Pete Anslow

Nortel Networks UK Limited, London Rd, Harlow, Essex CM17 9NA, UK

External +44 1279 402540 ESN 742 2540

Fax +44 1279 402543