Re: [8023-10GEPON] Upcoming deadlines

All,

My reason for requiring all the contributions to be formed as comments was simply to avoid fragmenting our discussion time into separate sections - comment review section and standalone proposals section. Judging by past experience, early-stages drafts, like ours, tend to generate very large number of comments and I expect that we will run out of time. Then if our schedule is fragmented, it is very unclear to me how much time is to allocate to each section and if time is short, which section should be punished and by how much.

Having every contribution wrapped in a comment will automatically put it in the right order for our discussion and if multiple contributions are done against the same topic or same part of the draft, they will be grouped together automatically.

Also, every comment is addressed by the task force. While editors write proposed responses, final responses are often different as a result of task force discussion.

The five week deadline for comment submission for the next meeting is rather an exception during our first review cycle. In this cycle we had more time because our draft D1.0 was prepared at the November meeting, not after the meeting as it will be done in the future review cycles. And also, since it is our first cycle, I wanted to give our editors more time to go over generating responses and getting comfortable with comment database. Going forward we will typically have a tighter schedule with the comment deadline being two weeks before the meeting.

Said all that, I recognize that Jeff brings up a very valid point that 5-week deadline may be too burdensome for people preparing slides for the next meeting.  So, for January meeting I will allocate separate time periods for comment reviews and for reviewing standalone baseline proposals. The deadline for such proposals shall be Monday, January 14th, as described in our Procedure for Presenters (http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/presentproc.html). December 17th remains the deadline for comment submission.

Thank you,
Glen Kramer