Re: [8023-10GEPON] Optical Overload Ad-Hoc announcement

Would you permit a "lurker" to comment on this topic?  I have been
following it with great interest and would like to offer some thoughts.
Apologize for the length of the post.

My thought is that we should specify at least one defined but optional
signal from the MAC that tells the OLT receiver that a transmission from
one ONU has finished.  The can allow some interesting optional things to
be done in the OLT receiver.  This was anticipated near the beginning of
this thread with the sentence, "(Note that this implies that the Rx has
certain feedback paths, such as when the CDR declares loss of lock.)"
By providing this feedback, the optics manufacturer can optionally
provide some mechanisms to reduce the time required to set up to receive
a transmission from the next ONU. This works even if the second signal
is much weaker than the preceding signal.  Using the GATE MPCPDU, the
OLT can tell the ONUs what shorter dead time it needs.  But the OLT does
not have to implement this feature - it can accept the longer dead times
under discussion, and maybe this thread does not have to make as many
decisions.

I believe something like this signal is used in GPON.

Rationale for this approach: there are things you can do to speed up the
recovery of both the AGC and the slicing level (often referred to in the
context of "ac coupling").  A fast-attack, slow-decay type AGC can set
itself quickly to a new level, but if the second signal is weaker than
the first, it will need too much recovery time.  Thus, it could use this
"transmission finished" signal (whatever name you want to give it) to
reset the AGC to the lowest signal level.  Then when the next signal
starts, the fast attack can set the AGC quickly.  Nagahori-san's
excellent slides prepared for the March meeting
(3av_0803_nagahori_1.pdf) show this option.  See his slide #4 with
peak-detection AGC.  I would add yet one more possible element to this
block diagram: it is possible to use an additional feed-forward path
from measuring the average photodiode current, to adjust the variable
feedback resistor to an approximate gain setting.  Again, this can be
done on a fast-attack, slow decay basis, to roughly set the value of the
feedback resistor.  Then the peak detector shown by Nagahori-san takes
over to set the level more precisely.  In order for this to work, we
need the signal suggested.

Second, considering the ac coupling issue, again Nagahori-san's slide 4
shows "feed-forward ATC with peak detection."  I learned to call this a
"mean of peaks detector" early in my career.  During the run-in, the
positive and negative peaks of the photodiode output are measured and
averaged.  This value then becomes the slicing level.  AC coupling is
not necessary.  This can be done very fast, too, but the two peak
detectors will have to be reset after every transmission.  Furthermore,
they must be enabled AFTER the second run-in sequence begins.  So they
cannot be enabled with the "transmission finished" signal.  They can be
reset by this signal, but they cannot be enabled by it.  There are
several ways to overcome this problem.  One is to detect some rise in
the average (over just a few bit times) output of the photodiode.
Another might be to provide some sort of signal from the MAC that says
"there should be another transmission starting about now."  This can be
derived from what the MAC knows about the expected next signal.  I'm not
certain whether to specify this second signal or not.  I believe
Nagahori-san was referring to something on this order in his slide 9.

I understand that some manufacturers have implemented something like
this in GPON.

Another option, if you want to ac couple the OLT receiver, is to use a
very small coupling capacitor during the run-in.  Measure the voltage
across this capacitor and charge a larger capacitor to the same voltage.
Then by the end of the run-in, switch the now-charged larger capacitor
in parallel with the smaller capacitor.

Again, the OLT receiver manufacturer does not have to implement any of
this, but if he does, he can improve the dead time between
transmissions, and we can specify a default condition we know works,
even though it is not optimum.  The key is putting in the specification,
"you don't have to implement these signals between the MAC and the PHY,
but if you do, here's how they have to work."

I have discussed the issue of slow turn-on of the ONU transmitter with
our expert, and frankly we do not believe it is feasible.  People seem
to be moving to feedback control of extinction ratio, in which the drive
current for both the "high" and "low" state of the transmitter diode are
controlled in feedback loops, in order to maintain better extinction
ratio over the life of the diode.  I suppose it might be possible to use
the "high" state feedback to effect slow turn-on, but it seems
complicated, and we're not sure it will improve overall performance,
assuming good design on the OLT receiver.  This slow turn-on circuit is
at the ONU, where we need to be the most cautious about adding
complexity.  Even in a traditional ac-coupled transmitter, a simple
capacitor would likely not work well.  True, it will slow the turn-on.
But the diode us usually biased well below the lasing threshold when
off, to prevent any light from being emitted.  And the capacitor that
slows down turn-on will also slow down getting from the "off" bias to
the lasing threshold, increasing dead time.

Finally, and returning to my earlier comments on feedback AGC (as in
slide 4 of Nagahori-san), I think I agree with Hamano-san (just below my
comments), that a properly designed feedback and amplifier should not
have a problem.  I think the problem you can get into with any feedback
AGC is that if a high level signal hits the front end fast enough, it
may cause limiting in the amplifier, and the limited output signal
conceivably may not be high enough in amplitude to set the AGC.  But
this can be overcome by proper amplifier design, and I'm not sure I've
actually seen it happen, although I have seen amplifiers set their AGC
level slowly due to initial clipping.  And my suggestion of a
feed-forward signal from the photodiode should also help prevent this
situation.

Thanks,
jim

Jim Farmer