From: Takeshi Nagahori [mailto:t-nagahori@AH.JP.NEC.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:56 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Jitter ad-hoc status

Dear Dr. Hirth, Jitter Adhoc members

I greatly appreciate Dr. Hirth for your effort taking this ad hoc leadership.

I would like to comments on feasibility of TP7->TP8 jitter, which I could not point out at Adhoc meeting on March 18th evening.

10G jitter budget is based on the concept of CEI-11G serdes jitter budget.
At CEI serdes situation, the effect on thermal noise across voltage axis (not phase noise), which is generated at analog front-end amplifier, may not be considered, because the amplitude of received signal is as large as several 10's mV range and is much larger than thermal noise.

However, in a fiber optic receiver, thermal noise in TIA and/or shot noise in APD across voltage axis is not negligible.  Attached is a simplified model of an optical receiver output waveform with appropriate roll off.
As shown in the slide, rms value of noise is as large as 1/6.18 of OMA at 1E-3 BER. This noise is converted to RJ with rms value (1 * sigma) of (1/6.18)*UI.
It was not concluded the BER condition to determine jitter budget at the Adhoc,
  1E-3 (P-P jitter due to RJ is 3.09 * sigma) or
  1E-12 (P-P jitter due to RJ is 7.03 * sigma), the above basic consideration suggests that TP7->TP8 jitter value (delta TJ) of 0.1UI is not realistic, even if we consider only RJ.

In addition to RJ, DJ is also crucial issue in a burst mode optical receiver.
DCD at higher input power will be the dominant factor of DJ, rather than ISI in AC coupling, through my experience of burst mode receiver up to 1.25Gbps.
The phase offset between 1010.... preamble and 64B/66B coded DATA area also acts as DJ with appoximately 0.05UI to 0.1UI.

Considering above situation, I propose to modify the upstream jitter budget to allow TP7->TP8 jiter value (delta TJ) of 0.25.
It is too challenging to realize burst mode CDR with jitter tolerance of more than 0.7, the only solution will be to reduce the jitter at TP5.
Referred to SONET spec, 0.1UI TJ at TP5 will be feasible.

With regard to phase offset between 1010.... preamble and 64B/66B coded DATA area, I have an idea to reduce this effect to be presented later.

Best Regards,
Takeshi Nagahori
NEC