Re: [8023-10GEPON] Optical Overload Ad-hoc - the issue of damage thresholds

Dear All,

Since I didn't hear any wild screams of pain, let's go forward assuming that we will remove the optical damage line items in the tables for 10G.

Now, the next topic is where to put a warning about direct connection.
One place would be just before the receiver tables.  Candidate text:
"Note that the maximum receiver input power is less then than the corresponding maximum transmitter power.  For this reason, back to back connection is not recommended, and may in fact cause damage."

Another would be some text near the table that describes the link loss.
"Note that the loss budgets have a minimum loss that is greater than zero. This precludes back to back connection of the PMDs.  Additionally, such connection may cause permanent damage to the components."

Or something like that... I warmly invite anybody to tune up the language.

Sincerely,
Frank E.