Re: [8023-10GEPON] Upstream Wavelength

Title: Upstream Wavelength
Dear Jim,
some thoughts on the comment You are referring to ... I am the one responsible to its rejection so I believe some more explanation is justified, especially if we do not want to have this discussion during the meeting.
1. Your comment is submitted incorrectly, since D1.3 does not include Annex 91A - please check the latest version of the draft http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/private/draft_1_3/3av_d1_3.pdf which is subject to commenting per email http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GEPON_study/email/msg01027.html. Please bear in mind that editors have dozes of comments to process and we cannot look for the piece of text which You might refer to - that is interpreting the comment and we are not allowed to do it. If the commenter does not make sure I can trace the comment location, I will have to reject it. That is what happened with Your comments.
2. The second reason for the rejection is technical. We have been discussing the issue of the 1260 - 1280 nm transmission window for 10G signals in upstream (versus 1300 - 1320 nm or 1340 - 1360 nm) and it was decided that we would aim for this particular window, with the TF wide consensus. Various reasons can be mentioned and I am pretty sure that if You look through the past presentations, You will be able to trace it back quite easily. All in all, everyone (almost) seems to be in agreement that such a window allocation is feasible and will not warrant transmission problems.
As such, it is hard for me to decide on the validity of the claims of Your expert on this issue. The deployed fibre is supposed to have the cut off frequency below 1260 nm and the system should operate fine as long as the fibre type used in the PON is consistent with the spec (IEC 60793-2 B1.1 and B1.3). If someone wants to get hurt, we cannot prevent it. One can easily deploy fibre which will overmode in this range but that is already not standard compliant plant and we cannot provide for all the possible use cases.

IMHO we do not need to change anything. The restrictions which are placed on the fibre plant assure that the transmission in the selected window is feasible.

I will be looking forward to receiving any feedback from You

Best wishes

Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
NOKIA SIEMENS Networks S.A.
System Architect – COO BBA DSLAM R&D